How to Make a Complaint About Housing Disrepair in Sheffield


If you are experiencing housing disrepair in Sheffield, you have the right to complain to the city council. You can also seek compensation from your landlord if you have experienced damage to your belongings such as mould. Listed below are the steps you need to take to make a complaint.

Complaints procedure for housing disrepair

The complaints procedure for birmingham housing disrepair in the city of Sheffield can help tenants make a complaint if they believe their properties are in poor condition. There are two main steps you can take to make your complaint, first contact your landlord personally, and second, write to them to ask for a written response within 28 days. If you’re unable to meet either timescale, you should get in touch with your landlord and negotiate a new timescale with them. Finally, you can ask for a review of the investigation process and any steps taken to resolve the complaint.

Disrepair in social housing has led to many tenants to seek legal action, claiming that their homes are in poor condition. While this is the last resort, many tenants have found that they have little to no other choice than to take their complaints to court. Sadly, this is happening more often. The last thing you want is to be forced to take legal action.

Compensation you can claim from Sheffield City Council

If you’ve been unable to live in a property due to disrepair, you may be entitled to compensation from the council. You can file a claim at the County Court or a Magistrates’ Court, depending on the nature of your claim. In some cases, you may be entitled to monetary compensation, as well as care.

Housing providers have a duty of care to tenants, and should provide hygienic and safe accommodations. Housing disrepair is not only unsightly but can also cause health problems. For example, excessive mold in a home can cause illness or injury.